Friday, October 13, 2006

Why are we so obsessed with the bad news?

I don't often read newspapers. These days I find that the BBC news and the Guardian newspaper websites give me as much as I need. They also have the advantage that I can explore a topic in a little more depth if I want to.

One reason I don't read papers is that they always seem to feel they have to take a negative slant on every story. If the story isn't shocking, they'll find a way of making it so.

Of course, there's the Positive News paper but that's the rare exception.

So why are we so obsessed with the 'bad news'?

There's a conspiracy theory that says that the reason for this is that journalists' paymasters have a vested interest in spreading fear. Whether that's the case or not, surely the opportunity to shift the balance lies with us?

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't take an interest in all that's going on around us, but let's get a little more balance in the media.

Best wishes
Graham.

No comments: